There are approximately 1,700 families in the vicinity of RNSA that mostly live in Crateús municipality in the state of Ceará, in the districts of Tucuns, Burning, Poty and Ibiapaba and a small portion in Jatoba district in Buriti municipality of Montes-Piauí .
The Caatinga Association believes that in addition to efforts employed in the biome conservation, we need to promote the involvement of the entire surrounding community in eco-development plans, aimed at environmental preservation with generating income for poor communities. For this monitvo, created the Integrated Model for Conservation of Caatinga.
Was developed with the community, projects that sought to identify productive and environmental activities that generate opportunities and improved quality of life for residents. Among the activities developed by the communities are: participatory construction of tanks, the production of honey of native bees, soap and essential oil of the savanna plants and crafts, in addition to replanting of native tree seedlings in degraded areas.
- 27,000 people benefited directly;
- Protection of 6,146 hectares of savanna Nature Reserve Serra das Almas;
- Two planes local sustainable development jointly prepared with the community;
- Two developed Community environmental plans;
- 400 farmers trained in the use of controlled burns;
- Training and support to 25 beekeepers (honey producers), the 14 young artisans, 30 artisans in carnauba straw and 12 workers in community farm.
The Caatinga Conservation Integrated Framework was a finalist for the Bank of Brazil award for Social Technology - 2009 Edition.